This November, celebrate turkeys, volunteerism and more at Pretend City Children’s Museum. For the month of November, children will learn how to give back to the community through thoughtfully designed activities; children explore the humanitarian ideas of philanthropy, volunteerism, donations and community support.
Sharing is caring and Pretend City invites guests to bring a can of food and receive $2 off admission during the entire month of November as part of its month-long canned food drive. Learn about all the wonderful opportunities the city provides to allow children and their grown-ups to give back.PRETEND CITY 29 Hubble Irvine, CA
Calendar of Events for NovemberMonday, November 18: Family Autism Event 5:00pm – 7:00pm Specifically for: Families with children of all ages who are on the autism spectrum; Pretend City will be closed to the general public. This special evening is an opportunity for children and their parents/siblings/caretakers to have some fun in an autism-friendly environment along with other families. To visit Pretend City prior to the event (adult only pre-tours), feel free to stop in on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 from 10-11a.m. or 4-5p.m. RSVP: max 80 families; please visit Pretend City online under Visit and click Calendar of Events to register for FREE
Friday, November 12: America Recycles Day! 11:00am Children will learn that there is one day to educate. One day to motivate. One day to make recycling bigger and better 365 days a year. They will also provide audiology and fine and gross motor screenings (10am – 12pm) as well as Good To Go Game at 3:30pm with a shop smart activity.
Wednesday, November 27: Celebrate Thanksgiving! 10:00am – 4:00pm Sure, Thanksgiving is known for the pilgrims, history and turkey. But most importantly, Thanksgiving is for giving thanks; it’s a holiday that focuses on everything that we are thankful for. Celebrate family, friends, and the holiday that brings everyone together through these fun activities:
- Sensational Story Time – “Gobble gobble” up these books every hour on the hour for a Thanksgiving treat! From hilarious turkeys to holiday history, your children will learn and engage.
- Listen & Learn – Join us to Do The Turkey Pokey and learn about the farm in these fun listen and learn music and movement times.
- Cooking Up Cultures – Your little ones are bound to gobble up these turkey treats! This edible activity will make a fun table decoration or desert.
- Smart Art – Give thanks in the art studio this special day by participating in these lively and creative Thanksgiving art activities:
- Thankful Tree – Help your little one create their “leaf of thanks” and add it to our Thankful Tree. See what others in your community are thankful for.
- Handmade Turkeys – Whether your child chooses the messy or the clean cut turkey, this handmade project is bound to be a keepsake. Make one each year to begin a holiday tradition. See how the turkey changes each year to capture your child’s growth.
- Symbols in a Second – Cornucopias are a well known symbol for this holiday. But why? What is the meaning behind the cornucopia? Come find out during this colorful art project.
- Guests are encouraged to dress in the holiday theme! Who doesn’t love a little turkey?
Thursday, November 28 – Pretend City Closed in Honor of Thanksgiving Holiday
Friday, November 29: Hanukkah Celebration Kick-off! All day Happy Hanukkah! This is a special time of celebration and learning. Come and learn more about many of the symbols associated with Hanukah. Through engaging activities that are sure to have your little ones delighted while wanting to learn more about this special holiday. Activities are:
- 11:00a.m. – Cooking Up Cultures: Edible Menorah – Join us to create one of the symbols of Hanukah the menorah! This edible delight will teach you all about the blessing associated with the lighting of the 8 candles, the purpose of the number of candles, and the special shammash candle.
- 1:00p.m. – Let’s Move: Lots of Latkes – Use your hand eye coordination as you throw your latkes in the air during this fun fitness music and movement time!
- 3:00p.m. – Good to Go Game: Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel – The dreidel is painted with letters, gimel, hey, nun, and shin which are written on the sides. Learn and play this traditional game while your youngster works on cognitive skills including counting, symbol identification and following commands.
- Art Studio – Colorful Cultures: Smart Art Star of David – Use your creativity and test your knowledge of this illuminous holiday to make your very own Star of David ornament.
# # #
About Pretend City Children’s Museum:
Pretend City Children’s Museum features a small, interconnected city designed to “build better brains” through purposeful play, hands-on learning experiences, role playing, and educational programming. As a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization serving all children, it depends on community-based funding and guest support. Through 17 interactive exhibits and activities guided by a highly trained professional staff, children learn foundational math, reading and science skills, while fostering curiosity, creativity, critical thinking, problem solving, organization, teamwork, self-confidence and socialization. The museum is a unique community resource offering developmental screenings and tools for families, educators and community agencies working to ensure that each child gains the experiences needed to discover their potential and build toward a productive and fulfilling future. Pretend City Children’s Museum is located at 29 Hubble, Irvine, CA 92618. For more information, please visit www.pretendcity.org.