Just before winter break, I had the unique opportunity to step onboard the newest addition to the Carnival Cruise Lines fleet: The Carnival Panorama. As part of the media, I was invited to the christening event where the ship’s godmother, Vanna White officially named her, the day before the inaugural sailing.
The Carnival Panorama is line’s first new ship on the West Coast in 20 years. This gorgeous ship now takes residence in beautiful, Southern California. With a crew size of approximately of approximately 1,450, this floating resort of 133,500 tons can hold approximately 5,146 guests. With 2,004 cabins, numerous entertainment venues, 12 different dining options, and some new, never before featured additions, this ship is a stand out of it’s fleet.
After the naming ceremony, we were invited to wander the ship and enjoy appetizers and cocktails in any of the bars and entertainment venues that lined the ship. I wandered past the Piano Bar 88 which looked like so much fun, while I was in search of my friends who had discovered Guy’s Pig and Anchor Smokehouse Brewhouse and were nibbling on appetizers and sipping on some delicious cocktails.
The Panorama features these entertainment venues and bars:
- LIQUID LOUNGE (Main Show Lounge/Dance Club)
- GUY’S PIG & ANCHOR SMOKEHOUSE BREWHOUSE
- LIMELIGHT LOUNGE/PUNCHLINER COMEDY CLUB
- OCEAN PLAZA (Piazza/Inside and Lanai)
- PIANO BAR 88 (Piano Bar)
- ALCHEMY BAR (Promenade Bar)
- SKYBOX SPORTS BAR
- HAVANA BAR (Latin-Themed Nightspot)
- THE LIBRARY BAR (Library/Inside and Lanai)
- PANORAMA BAR (Lobby Bar)
- REDFROG RUM BAR (Poolside Bar)
- BLUE IGUANA TEQUILA BAR (Poolside Bar)
While waiting for dinner, I decided to wander the ship to check out the features that makes this ship so spectacular and hitting home Carnival’s theme of “Choose Fun”.
The Carnival Panorama features the first of its kind, a uniquely fun indoor trampoline park and challenge zone with dodgeball and basketball.
The CHOOSE FUN® WaterWorks™ aqua park! features two huge water slides:
- The RED slide is a raft slide with an open-air corkscrew.
- The BLUE slide is specifically for speed as the tube has less curves and turns that let you pick up serious speed before splashdown.
Carnival WaterWorks aqua park also features a splash pool with different water features and a giant dumping bucket. Additional pool areas include the Havana Pool, the Beach Pool and the Tides Pool.
Sports Square features an outdoor fitness area, jogging track, 9 hole mini golf area, mini bowling, ping pong and more.
Get a thrilling experience on the SkyRide, a suspended open-air cycling experience on the 14th deck that takes you across the highest points of the ship with the most spectacular view.
When it comes to food, The Carnival Panorama features some unique dining experiences. Typically, when I cruise, we enjoy each evening in the main dining room that offers some amazing faire, along with their excellent dining staff who are there to accommodate your culinary wishes. This ship features some of my favirite cuisines, including:
- LIDO MARKETPLACE (Poolside Restaurant)
- – Pizzeria del Capitano
- – Guy’s Burger Joint
- – BlueIguana Cantina
- – Comfort Kitchen
- – Carnival Deli
- – Dessert Station
- REFLECTIONS RESTAURANT ROOM (Aft)
- HORIZONS DINING ROOM (Forward)
- CUCINA DEL CAPITANO (Italian Restaurant)
- THE CHEF’S TABLE (Private In-Galley Dining Venue)
- CHERRY ON TOP (Candy/Premium Ice Cream/Novelty Shop)
- FAHRENHEIT 555 (Steakhouse)
- JI JI ASIAN KITCHEN (Full-Service Asian Restaurant)
- JAVA BLUE CAFÉ (Coffee Shop)
- SHAKE SPOT (Custom Milkshakes)
- SEAFOOD SHACK (New England-Inspired Seafood Eatery)
- BONSAI SUSHI (Full-Service Sushi restaurant)
While sailing on the Panorama, for an additional fee, you have the opportunity to learn from the chefs with hands-on instruction in over a dozen culinary disciplines like making sushi or a cake decorating class. Once you book your cruise, reserve your spot in the Carnival Kitchen before it sells out as it will be a popular activity.
Also featured will be a vibrant Havana section with tropics-inspired staterooms and its own Cuban-themed bar and pool, Family Harbor featuring extra-roomy accommodations, the Family Harbor Lounge, and Ocean Plaza, a spacious dining and entertainment venue with indoor and outdoor seating.
Following an inaugural three-day cruise, Carnival Panorama has launched a year-round seven-day Mexican Riviera service from Long Beach, Calif., departing every Saturday on week-long voyages to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. I know my dad and step-mom have already booked their first stay on the Carnival Panorama this Spring. I’m hoping to take my family on this amazing ship sometime in the future.
To learn more about Carnival Cruise Line, visit Carnival.com. For cruise reservations, contact any travel agent or call 1-800-CARNIVAL.