Have you heard of National Dance Day? It’s a day we celebrate the art of dance across the United States, and this year, Segerstrom Center for the Arts is proud to join The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts as the official sites of this year’s 9th annual National Dance Day (NDD) celebrations on Saturday, July 28. National Dance Day is presented by The Dizzy Feet Foundation. Segerstrom Center is the exclusive West Coast site and The Kennedy Center is the site of the East Coast celebration
Segerstrom Center events will be from 1:00 – 8:00 p.m. on the new Julianne and George Argyros Plaza. The National Dance Day routine will be led by So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD) All-Star Allison Holker with special guest emcee Adam Shankman. Fully inclusive and interactive dance lessons in a wide variety of dance styles will be held throughout the day, along with opportunities to learn this year’s official NDD routine.
The day’s celebrations include performances and classes by DEA Youth Dance Program, School of Rock – The Musical, Culture Shock Los Angeles, Viver Brasil, Infinite Flow, Backhausdance and Relámpago del Cielo Grupo Folklórico, along with Segerstrom Center’s Summer at the Center participants and American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School. Close out the day dancing under the stars during the Silent Disco dance party in the center of the Plaza. Discount Dance Supply (DDS) will join in on the National Dance Day celebration with fun activities including a photo booth, DDS apparel and pointe shoe fittings, as well as on-site giveaways and raffles!
As part of the National Dance Day celebration, dance master classes will be available for advanced, experienced dancers. Contemporary class with Rochelle Mapes (professional commercial dancer and judge) will be at 1:00 p.m. Ballet with Amanda Cobb (former American Ballet Theatre dancer) at 2:15 p.m. Ballroom with Kiki Nyemchek and Koine “Koko” Iwasaki (So You Think You Can Dance stars) will be at 3:30 p.m. Classes are $10 and space is limited. Reserve your spot today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 714-556-2122 x4104.
This year’s NDD routine was created by Emmy Award-winning choreographer Mandy Moore to Kylie Minogue’s song, “Dancing.” The video features Dancing With The Stars troupe members Britt Stewart, Morgan Larson and Hayley Erbert along with Season 13 SYTYCD winner, Kida Burns and Season 11 contestant Nick Garcia, as well as The Rollettes founder Chelsie Hill. The 2018 National Dance Day routine is available now on Dizzy Feet Foundation’s YouTube channel.
No matter where they are, anyone can participate in National Dance Day by submitting their own creative version of the NDD routine and participate in this year’s dance challenge, #DanceMadeMeDoIt. Those who can’t attend the celebrations at the Kennedy Center or Segerstrom Center, are encouraged to host their own NDD event and register online by joining DFF’s National Directory of Events.
Check out the lineup at Segerstrom Center for the Arts on Saturday, July 28th for National Dance Day:
- 1:00 – 1:30pm Opening announcements & warm-up with Amanda Cobb (Main Stage)
- 1:15 – 2:15pm Contemporary Master Class with Rochelle Mapes (Education Lab)
- 1:30 – 2:00pm Tap Class with Kyle Van Newkirk (Main Stage)
- 1:30 – 2:15pm Learn “Thriller” choreography with Culture Shock LA (Community Stage)
- 2:00 – 2:15pm Summer at the Center mini performance (Main Stage)
- 2:15 – 2:30pm Backhaus dance performance (Main Stage)
- 2:15 – 3:00pm Viver Brasil – Afro-Brazilian dance workshop (Community Stage)
- 2:30 – 3:30pm Ballet Master Class with Amanda Cobb (Education Lab)
- 2:30 – 2:45pm Relámpago del Cielo Grupo Folklórico performance (Main Stage)
- 2:45 – 3:15pm Infinite Flow: An Inclusive Dance Company workshop (Main Stage)
- 3:00 – 3:30pm DEA Youth Dance Program workshop (Community Stage)
- 3:15 – 3:45pm Hip Hop Class (Main Stage)
- 3:30 – 4:00pm Backhaus dance workshop (Community Stage)
- 3:45 – 4:15pm ABT William J. Gillespie School demonstration (Main Stage)
- 3:45 – 4:45pm Ballroom Master Class with Koko Iwasaki & Kiki Nyemchek (Education Lab)
- 4:00 – 4:30pm Aman Folk Dance (Community Stage)
- 4:15 – 4:45pm Country Line Dancing class with Dev Edwards (Main Stage)
- 4:30 – 5:00pm ABT Gillespie School Pre-Primary Class performance (Community Stage)
- 4:45 – 5:00pm Jordan Matter 10 Minute Photo Challenge (Main Stage)
- 5:00 – 5:20pm School of Rock – The Musical workshop & class (Main Stage)
- 5:20 – 6:30pm National Dance Day Routine led by Allison Holker (Main Stage)
- 6:30 – 8:00pm Silent Disco with The Silent DJ (Main Stage)
Schedule and performers are subject to change. Please check SCFTA.org for further updates.
National Dance Day events at Segerstrom Center for the Arts on Saturday, July 28th are free to the public.
Segerstrom Center for the Arts is an acclaimed arts institution as well as a beautiful multi-disciplinary cultural campus. It is committed to supporting artistic excellence, offering unsurpassed experiences and to engaging the entire community in new and exciting ways through the unique power of live performance and a diverse array of inspiring arts-based education and community engagement programs. Previously called the Orange County Performing Arts Center, Segerstrom Center is Orange County’s largest non-profit arts organization. In addition to its six performance venues, Segerstrom Center is also home to the American Ballet Theatre William J. Gillespie School. The Center presents a broad range of programming for audiences of all ages, including international ballet and dance, national tours of top Broadway shows, jazz and cabaret, contemporary artists, classical music performed by renowned chamber orchestras and ensembles, family-friendly programming, free performances open to the public from outdoor movie screenings to dancing on the plaza and many other special events.